Getting brutus working in a simple installation
Dan Geist
2009-03-24 15:55:37 UTC
Greetings. I'm a long-time linux user that's using brutus due to my company's switch to exchange2007 (was using evolution-connector happily for years). I have a domain setup and have tried to install both brutus and brutus enterprise. Both seem to require the lorica service. I really don't care about the ssl part since my workstation connects directly to the windows host on which I'm running brutus/lorica.

My issue is that even if I configure brutus not to use Lorica, the service is still installed and is a dependency. I've configured Lorica to start with the same user permissions (as a domain user) as brutus. It seems to start but then crashes with some cryptic message every minute or so, It also doesn't appear to ever go out to the exchange server that I have configured in Evoltion.

I left everything default in the brutus config. Here's the settings from Evolution:
- ID Tab
Full Name: Dan Geist
Email address: ***@companyname_here

- Receiving Tab
Server: internal Exchange IP address here
username: dgeist

- Receiving Options Tab
Exchange email address: ***@companyname_here
Windows Domain: CORP
Brutus Server: 192.168.0.36 (internal subnet with the windows host and my workstation on it).
Brutus Server Port: 2003

So, where do I even begin to troubleshoot. There really wasn't much in the way of an administration reference and since I'm a Linux user, I have no idea how to troubleshoot library, trace, debug, or much of anything else other than desktop apps in windows.

Any help is appreciated.
Dan
--
Dan Geist dan(@)polter.net
(33.925643, -84.294115)
Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-03-25 10:05:49 UTC
Hi Dan,
Post by Dan Geist
Greetings. I'm a long-time linux user that's using brutus due to my
company's switch to exchange2007 (was using evolution-connector
happily for years). I have a domain setup and have tried to install
both brutus and brutus enterprise. Both seem to require the lorica
service.
In general you shouldn't care about simplifying your Brutus
installation. Lorica has been "bolted" on to the installation due to
the fact that it simplifies so many other things that it really is way
easier to just use Lorica always. This Brutus installation contains
Lorica:

http://www.42tools.com/sites/default/files/downloads/brutus-install.exe

Just don't try running Brutus without Lorica and your live will be
easier from it. One thing though - You must uninstall Lorica if you
have a stand-alone Lorica installation on your box. Uninstall before
trying the installation above.

Please try and then tell me if you continue having problems.

Best,
jules
Dan Geist
2009-03-25 14:27:17 UTC
Hi, Jules. I downloaded the installed from the link provided, uninstalled all previous versions, removed the c:\Program Files\Lorica / Brutus directories, rebooted, installed the brutus server, configured it to run as my domain account, configured the brutus directory for full access by that domain account, and the service will not start. I get the following:

Could not start the brutus service on local computer.
Error 1068; the dependency service of group failed to start.

In the application log is the following:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Lorica
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/25/2009
Time: 10:16:24 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CATL1W61DGEIST3
( 10:16:24.730000) .\proxy.cpp:299 - Exception trying to resolve initial references

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Lorica
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/25/2009
Time: 10:16:36 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CATL1W61DGEIST3
( 10:16:36.817000) .\proxy.cpp:299 - Exception trying to resolve initial references

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Lorica
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/25/2009
Time: 10:16:48 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CATL1W61DGEIST3
( 10:16:48.981000) .\proxy.cpp:299 - Exception trying to resolve initial references

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-03-25 14:42:31 UTC
Hi Dan,
Post by Dan Geist
Hi, Jules. I downloaded the installed from the link provided,
uninstalled all previous versions, removed the c:\Program Files
\Lorica / Brutus directories, rebooted, installed the brutus
server, configured it to run as my domain account, configured the
brutus directory for full access by that domain account, and the
My first guess is that your External_Address value in lorica.conf is
invalid.

Best,
jules
Dan Geist
2009-03-25 16:56:50 UTC
Altering the Lorica conf enabled me to get things to stay running (it would have been nice to have a readme or other document describing how to get it running...). I ran into a different problem. The group settings of the domain machine have a very restrictive firewall policy set. I configured both the lorica external and the linux evolution client to use port 80 for communications.

Now, I'm getting what appears to be an initial communications request from client to server (according to tcpdump) and then nothing happens. Evolution just sits there and never shows the mailbox. How can I determine what's going on with the server side (application debugging, etc)?

Thanks.
Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Luis Correia
2009-03-25 17:01:08 UTC
Dan,
Post by Dan Geist
Altering the Lorica conf enabled me to get things to stay running (it would have been nice to have a readme or other document describing how to get it running...). I ran into a different problem. The group settings of the domain machine have a very restrictive firewall policy set. I configured both the lorica external and the linux evolution client to use port 80 for communications.
Now, I'm getting what appears to be an initial communications request from client to server (according to tcpdump) and then nothing happens. Evolution just sits there and never shows the mailbox. How can I determine what's going on with the server side (application debugging, etc)?
Thanks.
Dan
You can add logging and debug levels inside the brutus.conf file on
the server and then restart the service.
There are commented examples in it.

Luis Correia
Jules Colding
2009-03-25 22:18:01 UTC
Post by Dan Geist
Altering the Lorica conf enabled me to get things to stay running
(it would have been nice to have a readme or other document
describing how to get it running...). I ran into a different
problem. The group settings of the domain machine have a very
restrictive firewall policy set. I configured both the lorica
external and the linux evolution client to use port 80 for
communications.
Now, I'm getting what appears to be an initial communications
request from client to server (according to tcpdump) and then
nothing happens. Evolution just sits there and never shows the
mailbox. How can I determine what's going on with the server side
(application debugging, etc)?
What do the client log tell you?
--
jules
Dan Geist
2009-03-26 19:35:08 UTC
The only thing of significance seems to be:
(evolution:12066): evolution-mail-WARNING **: couldn't get service brutus://dgeist;auth=Plain-JEKu/***@public.gmane.org/;expect_other_clients;iiop_port=80;windows_domain=CORP.XXX.COM;exchange_mailbox_email=dan.geist-jE/***@public.gmane.org;brutus_server=192.168.0.36: Could not construct the store - CORBA exception caught

Any thoughts? Do I have a syntax issue or is something not setup right?

Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-03-27 08:10:26 UTC
Post by Dan Geist
(evolution:12066): evolution-mail-WARNING **: couldn't get service
brutus://
dgeist
;auth
=
Plain
@catl0ms108
.corp
.XXX
;brutus_server=192.168.0.36: Could not construct the store - CORBA
exception caught
Any thoughts? Do I have a syntax issue or is something not setup right?
The lines before this one should be able to tell us why the store
construction fails.
--
jules
Dan Geist
2009-03-27 12:56:34 UTC
Yes, I figured they should be able to tell us that... But, as someone who doesn't know how the store is constructed and has never seen it operate properly, I'm hoping someone here might have some clue as to why that is. Does anyone have a successful setup message from evolution that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks.
Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-03-27 13:40:13 UTC
Post by Dan Geist
Yes, I figured they should be able to tell us that... But, as
someone who doesn't know how the store is constructed and has never
seen it operate properly, I'm hoping someone here might have some
clue as to why that is. Does anyone have a successful setup message
from evolution that they wouldn't mind sharing?
Couldn't you just post the entire the previous 100 log entries or so
to the list?

Thanks,
jules
Post by Dan Geist
Thanks.
Dan
Dan Geist
2009-03-27 14:11:54 UTC
There aren't any. Other than that, all the output of a debug ping transactions like this over and over again:

--- 192.168.0.36 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.36: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.268 ms

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
Dan Geist
2009-03-30 21:47:25 UTC
that is true. I did not have a current version. I just updated by Ubuntu distribution to 8.10 and the .deb packages for evoltion now no longer load.. Are there packages compiled for 8.10?

Thanks.
Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-03-31 07:39:04 UTC
Post by Dan Geist
that is true. I did not have a current version. I just updated by
Ubuntu distribution to 8.10 and the .deb packages for evoltion now
no longer load.. Are there packages compiled for 8.10?
No, you have to build those yourself.
--
jules
Post by Dan Geist
Thanks.
Dan
Dan Geist
2009-04-01 15:02:20 UTC
Anyone know what the following messages on the brutus server indicate:

Apr 01 10:52:04.435 ***@LM_DEBUG@< 10:52:04.435000 > .\BrutusLogOnS_impl.cpp:677 - Attempting logon for MAPI profile "a236fd86-1ecc-11de-b05e-800000000000"
Apr 01 10:52:04.451 ***@LM_DEBUG@< 10:52:04.451000 > .\BrutusLogOnS_impl.cpp:704 - Validating LifeLine object reference
Apr 01 10:52:04.451 ***@LM_DEBUG@< 10:52:04.451000 > .\BrutusLogOnS_impl.cpp:705 - IOR:010000002600000049444c3a6f6d632e6272757475732f4252555455532f427275747573436865636b3a312e30000000010000000000000070000000010102000a0000003132372e302e302e3100f00f2700000014010f004e55544b7dd3492d31010002000000010000004c52434101495406020000002400a8c00002000000000000000800000001163e01004f4154010000001400000001163e0101000105000000000901010000000000
Apr 01 10:52:04.451 ***@LM_DEBUG@ACE (3156|3712) SCG:<ctor=00FBEA38> - config=00B87D50 repo=00B87DB0 superceded by repo=00B87DB0
Apr 01 10:52:04.451 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3712) - Request timeout is 60000 milliseconds
Apr 01 10:52:04.451 ***@LM_DEBUG@ACE (3156|3712) DSB::instance, repo=00B87DB0, name=TAO_ORB_Core_Static_Resources type=00B8A280 => 00B8A0D0
Apr 01 10:52:04.451 ***@LM_DEBUG@ACE (3156|3712) DSB::instance, repo=00B87DB0, name=TAO_ORB_Core_Static_Resources type=00B8A280 => 00B8A0D0
Apr 01 10:52:04.451 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3712) - Transport[508]::make_idle
Apr 01 10:52:04.467 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3932) - Transport[508]::handle_input
Apr 01 10:52:04.467 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3932) - Transport[508]::process_queue_head, 0 enqueued
Apr 01 10:52:04.467 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3932) - Transport[508]::handle_input_parse_data, enter
Apr 01 10:52:04.467 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3932) - Transport[508]::handle_input_parse_data, read 24 bytes
Apr 01 10:52:04.467 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3712) - Synch_Twoway_Invocation::wait_for_reply, timeout after recv is <59984> status <0>
Apr 01 10:52:04.467 ***@LM_DEBUG@ACE (3156|3712) SCG:<dtor=00FBEA38> - new repo=00B87DB0
Apr 01 10:52:04.467 ***@LM_DEBUG@< 10:52:04.467000 > .\BrutusLogOnS_impl.cpp:757 - Entering BRUTUS_BrutusLogOn_i::Logon()
Apr 01 10:52:04.482 ***@LM_CRITICAL@< 10:52:04.482000 > .\BrutusLogOnS_impl.cpp:811 - Could not add ACEs to windows station and desktop
Apr 01 10:52:04.482 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3712) - Connection_Handler::svc_i - loop <5000>
Apr 01 10:52:04.482 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3712) - Transport[552]::handle_input
Apr 01 10:52:04.482 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3712) - Transport[552]::process_queue_head, 0 enqueued
Apr 01 10:52:04.482 ***@LM_DEBUG@TAO (3156|3712) - Transport[552]::handle_input_parse_data, enter

What permission is lacking if the "ACEs" failure?

Thanks.
Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-04-01 19:05:00 UTC
Hi Dan,
<snip>
Post by Dan Geist
What permission is lacking if the "ACEs" failure?
Interesting... The "Local System" user, under which the Brutus server
is running, have all the needed privileges to add ACEs. Hmm... Would
your Brutus server host happen to be a domain controller as well?

Best,
jules
Post by Dan Geist
Thanks.
Dan
Dan Geist
2009-04-01 20:11:57 UTC
In accordance with the older admin guides for brutus-enterprise, I have the service running as a domain user... Is that incorrect? It definitely isn't the domain controller. I had to beg and plead for weeks to have the host even added to the domain :)

Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-04-01 20:25:18 UTC
Post by Dan Geist
In accordance with the older admin guides for brutus-enterprise, I
have the service running as a domain user... Is that incorrect? It
definitely isn't the domain controller. I had to beg and plead for
weeks to have the host even added to the domain :)
Aha, you are following the old guide! Brutus 2.x is different.

1) Lorica is included so you can't install a standalone Lorica next to
Brutus 2.x

2) Brutus 2.x runs under the standard "Local System" account, e.g. no
more trouble using a special domain user to run Brutus.

Just follow the README which is included in the Brutus installation.

Best,
jules
Dan
Dan Geist
2009-04-06 13:54:54 UTC
Okay. Things are looking better, now. I've un-installed and re-installed brutus and left it to run as Administrator (since it's the only thing running on this host and I don't really care if it's that secure...), but... I've found a few more Gotchas:

- The README appears to only be in the source download of the server. It's quite detailed and well written but the Binary installer doesn't appear to put it in anywhere. After reading it from the source package things make more sense.

- I'm getting the message:
\proxy.cpp:305 - The MSEMS message service is not in the [Services] section of "mapisvc.inf". Please reinstall MAPI.
Again, the MAPIsvc.exe registration utility looks to be in the source package, but doesn't appear to be included with the binary distribution. Can I manually edit that inf file and if so, what do I put in it? I don't really have the option of compiling things as this isn't a a development host and I don't even think I have access to any machines that are setup to have an actual compiler on them (well, not windows, that is). Why do people use platforms that don't have free compilers, again?

I'm so close, I can smell it...

Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-04-06 14:07:42 UTC
Hi Dan,
Post by Dan Geist
Okay. Things are looking better, now. I've un-installed and re-
installed brutus and left it to run as Administrator (since it's the
only thing running on this host and I don't really care if it's that
- The README appears to only be in the source download of the
server. It's quite detailed and well written but the Binary
installer doesn't appear to put it in anywhere. After reading it
from the source package things make more sense.
Hmm... It should be left in the Brutus installation directory, at
least if you have installed 2.0.4. Anyway, I've attached it. Otherwise
go get 2.0.4 here:

Post by Dan Geist
\proxy.cpp:305 - The MSEMS message service is not in the [Services]
section of "mapisvc.inf". Please reinstall MAPI.
Again, the MAPIsvc.exe registration utility looks to be in the
source package, but doesn't appear to be included with the binary
distribution. Can I manually edit that inf file and if so, what do I
put in it? I don't really have the option of compiling things as
this isn't a a development host and I don't even think I have access
to any machines that are setup to have an actual compiler on them
(well, not windows, that is). Why do people use platforms that don't
have free compilers, again?
:-) You need to follow the instruction in the attached README (section
2) regarding MAPI. The MAPIsvc.exe is no longer needed by Brutus
Server and thus not included anymore. In short - Download and install
MAPI from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=94274318-27C4-4D8D-9BC5-3E6484286B1F&displaylang=en
Post by Dan Geist
I'm so close, I can smell it...
It really shouldn't be so hard. I'm sorry for the troubles you've had.

Best,
jules
Dan Geist
2009-04-06 14:32:00 UTC
Looks like I may have had the previous version of the exe installer... same name with 14 bytes less data. For the record, what you're describing below IS what I've been doing :) I'll try it with the correct version of the server and report back.

Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-04-06 14:37:35 UTC
Hi Dan,

One thing to check... Do you have outlook or Office on that box?
Brutus do only work with the Exchange version of MAPI.

Best,
jules
Dan Geist
2009-04-06 14:47:49 UTC
Negative, no outlook is installed, but there were some support packages from MS office (web extensions, visio, etc). On the off-chance that some of them have a MAPI extension built in, I just uninstalled everything with the string "office" in it, removed brutus, deleted the directory structure, removed the MAPI library and am rebooting. Giving windows a frontal lobotomy seems to always do the trick. N-th time is the charm :)

Cell: 404.786.6206
Dan Geist
2009-04-06 15:06:27 UTC
Well, it's still not working. After a complete flush and reinstall, I get the same errors:
< 11:00:51.794000 > .\proxy.cpp:773 - Starting Brutus Proxy
< 11:00:51.794000 > .\proxy.cpp:777 - Starting proxy for "dgeist" with server identity "SMTP:dan.geist-***@public.gmane.org"
< 11:00:51.794000 > .\proxy.cpp:904 - Starting CORBA
< 11:00:51.888000 > .\proxy.cpp:983 - Initializing MAPI
< 11:00:51.997000 > .\proxy.cpp:997 - Logging on to MAPI
< 11:00:51.997000 > .\proxy.cpp:545 - MAPILogonEx(b03f16dc-22bb-11de-b489-800000000000) failed - MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND
< 11:00:51.997000 > .\proxy.cpp:246 - b03f16dc-22bb-11de-b489-800000000000
< 11:00:52.013000 > .\proxy.cpp:247 - NULL
< 11:00:52.013000 > .\proxy.cpp:248 - SMTP:dan.geist-***@public.gmane.org
< 11:00:52.013000 > .\proxy.cpp:249 - catl0ms108.corp.companyname.com
< 11:00:52.013000 > .\proxy.cpp:250 - MSEMS
< 11:00:52.029000 > .\proxy.cpp:317 - The MSEMS message service is not in the [Services] section of "mapisvc.inf". Please reinstall MAPI.
< 11:00:52.029000 > .\proxy.cpp:1039 - Could not create MAPI Profile - Incorrect user credentials?
< 11:00:52.029000 > .\proxy.cpp:1091 - Damn... something bad happened

Any thoughts?

Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Dan Geist
2009-04-01 13:01:48 UTC
Okay, so here's a diff to make the source package build on Intrepid:

***@blah:~/src/evolution-brutus-1.2.35$ diff configure configure.bak
5275,5277d5274
< "intrepid")
< BRUTUS_DIST_RELEASE="Ubuntu%20Intrepid"
< ;;
5679d5675
< echo "Codename is $codename"
5693,5695d5688
< "intrepid")
< BRUTUS_DIST_RELEASE="Ubuntu%20Intrepid"
< ;;
5891,5894d5883
< "intrepid")
< LIBMAGICK='libmagick10'
< LIBMAGICK_DEV='libmagick9-dev'
< ;;

Now, I've built the package with debugging and "spy"-ing enabled. I still get absolutely nothing other than pings in my debug output, not even the output that I was getting before under Hardy. Brutus Keyring simply pops up "authentication failed" messages over and over again when I put my password in. What is the passphrase for the keyring used for? Do I need to use it after it's entered the first time? Can I get the recent tarballs of keyring (the .deb packages for Hardy are MUCH newer than the tarballs).

Is there an example of what successful debugging (both on evolution and on brutus server) should look like? At this point, I have no idea what part is breaking and the debugging output is nonexistent.

Thanks.
Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-04-01 19:10:03 UTC
Post by Dan Geist
Now, I've built the package with debugging and "spy"-ing enabled. I
still get absolutely nothing other than pings in my debug output,
not even the output that I was getting before under Hardy. Brutus
Keyring simply pops up "authentication failed" messages over and
over again when I put my password in. What is the passphrase for the
keyring used for?
The passphrase is used to encrypt the stored passwords.
Post by Dan Geist
Do I need to use it after it's entered the first time? Can I get the
recent tarballs of keyring (the .deb packages for Hardy are MUCH
newer than the tarballs).
I'm sorry, but I simply don't have the time to maintain b-k and e-b at
the moment. Please rebuild from svn.
Post by Dan Geist
Is there an example of what successful debugging (both on evolution
and on brutus server) should look like? At this point, I have no
idea what part is breaking and the debugging output is nonexistent.
I would guess that the error is on the server. Your mail about ACEs
not being added is significant. It is absolutely necessary that those
ACEs are added or the remote user wouldn't be allowed in.

Best,
jules
Dan Geist

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-04-01 20:34:53 UTC
Post by Dan Geist
You'll have to forgive me... I have no idea what and ACE is and I've
never done any development on Windows. I learned on unix and never
had a reason to look back...
I envy you :-)
Post by Dan Geist
What is an ACE?
"Access Control Entries". I wish I never had to deal with them. They
are what you need to manipulate if you want to grant access rights to
domain users programmatically within the limits of the rights granted
from the domain controller.

Best,
jules
Dan Geist
2009-04-06 17:20:11 UTC
Victory!

I noticed the modification time on mapisvc.inf was more than 3 months ago, so I moved it to a backup location, uninstalled the MAPI object and re-installed it. Preto! the installer re-populated the mapisvc.inf with all the proper values and brutus came right up the first time. It turns out some old values in the .inf file were confusing the installer and the services were never getting registered. Now that it's functional, I have to work on speed. It's slow because I have a lot a mail and the image is on vmware, so the steps for improvement are pretty obvious.

Jules, thank you for your time and patience.

Dan

Cell: 404.786.6206
Jules Colding
2009-04-07 05:39:19 UTC
Post by Dan Geist
Victory!
I noticed the modification time on mapisvc.inf was more than 3
months ago, so I moved it to a backup location, uninstalled the MAPI
object and re-installed it. Preto! the installer re-populated the
mapisvc.inf with all the proper values and brutus came right up the
first time. It turns out some old values in the .inf file were
confusing the installer and the services were never getting
registered. Now that it's functional, I have to work on speed. It's
slow because I have a lot a mail and the image is on vmware, so the
steps for improvement are pretty obvious.
Jules, thank you for your time and patience.
No problem ;-)

Best,
jules